Sunday, November 16, 2014

Cappucino Stout (Coffee, Milk Stout)

Milk Stout + Coffee isn't too radical of an idea. I love stouts and coffee so that was all the inpiration that was necessary. There are some great coffee shops in Ann Arbor, MI, but my favorite one is Mighty Good Roasting Company, on main street. They roast some really flavorful, aromatic beans. The base of the beer is a milk stout that I have developed over the past few years. 2-Row for the base, some crystal, flaked barley, 2 lbs of dark grains, and lactose. I really like the UK versions of Chocolate Malt and Roasted Barley, but it is important to note that UK Chocolate Malt has a lovibond of 350L, and UK Roasted Barley is 500L (which is a little darker than Briess). I kept the IBUs relatively low, because the added coffee imparts some of its own btterness.

For the coffee I used Mighty Good's Hacienda Rio Negro blend, which imparts a very robust, milk chocolate flavor and aroma. I cold brewed the coffee by taking two mason jars, adding 2 oz of coarse ground coffee, and topping them off with water. After 24 hours I filtered the coffee with a p60 pour over and added the concentrate to the secondary. I let the secondary sit for 7 days before kegging.



OG: 1.067
FG: 1.020
ABV: 6.2%
IBU: 40
SRM: 47

Grain:
9 lbs US Pale Malt (2-Row)
1 lbs Flaked Barley
1 lbs Carmel/Crystal-40L
1 lbs UK Chocolate Malt
.5 lbs UK Roasted Barley
.5 lbs Carafa III
1 lbs Lactose

Mash:
60 min @ 156 degrees F
10 min @ 168 degrees F

Boil:
.85 oz US Magnum (14.0%AA) @ 60
.15 oz US Magnum (14.0%AA) @ 5

Fermentation: 240 Billion Cells WY1056
14 days @ 66 degrees F
7 days w/ Cold Steeped Coffee (4 oz total, steeped for 24 hours)

Tasting Notes: Cappuccino Stout vs Bell's Java Stout vs Founder's Breakfast Stout

1 comment:

  1. Have you been able to hit your FG with this recipe? I love it and have brewed it 3 times. But I always end up with a high FG. Any hints would be helpful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...